Remarks by UNDP Resident Representative, Akiko Fujii,
Opening Ceremony of 'United Creatives'
13-14 February 2021: 15:00 – 15:30 hrs
Assalaamu Alaikum and a very good afternoon to you all
· I am so excited to be here. Congratulations to all the aspiring young leaders who are participating in the United Creatives initiative.
· COVID-19 has impacted our lives in so many ways. It has been particularly challenging for young people. It for this reason UNDP is working with our partners to create opportunities for young people - To engage creatively and to spark dialogue. Doing this virtually might be a challenge, but it shouldn’t be an obstacle. And here we are today adapting and innovating to amplify the voices of youth.
· It is more important than ever for us to listen to and learn from young people such as yourself. Our youth programs have proven time and again the great potential young people have to bring new perspectives to persistent challenges.
· The United Creatives program will showcase, educate and stimulate inspiring young role models. So that you can go on to champion social cohesion, celebrate diversity and promote a culture of respect and tolerance.
· We hope to foster a network of influential youth leaders who will create powerful digital content. In doing so, you can make real social impact, and put an end to negativity online.
· By doing so, you are contributing immensely towards achieving many of the Sustainable Development Goals such as gender equality, reducing inequality, peace, justice & stronger institutions.
· I would like to take this opportunity to thank our colleagues in the UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub for taking the initiative to develop this exciting programme, and also the UNDP Maldives governance team for their role in facilitating the Maldives program.
· I would also like to thank the Maldivian CSOs, content creators and youth leaders who are providing valuable insight, guidance and mentorship to the participants throughout the program.
· We couldn’t have done this without the support of the Council of the European Union. Thank you Mr. Thorsten Bargfrede for taking your time to attend the opening and address the participants.
· To all participants, this is a valuable opportunity for us to network, learn from each other and grow your potential as a young leaders.
· I hope that these boot camp and the academy program to follow, will give all of you the space to think critically, share openly and develop a sense of community and understanding. Only then will we be able to pave the way towards more cohesive, caring and resilient communities.
· I wish you fruitful conversations and look forward to seeing all the brilliant digital campaigns that you will create. Be the change!
· Shukriya. Thank you!