Global Environment Facility Small Grants Programme
The Global Environment Facility (GEF) Small Grants Programme (SGP) in the Maldives was launched in 2010, with US $ 150,000 in grant funds. In the current phase, US $ 1.2 million will be spent over four years (2011-2014).
To date GEF SGP has funded 27 community based projects. These projects target diverse objectives including;
- Conservation of endangered species such as marine turtles and sea birds, and restoration and protection of sensitive habitats such as mangroves, beaches and coral reefs.
- Establishment of proper waste management in an effort to prevent pollution and degradation of these sensitive habitats
- Switching from chemical intensive agriculture to organic and more sustainable methods
- Piloting of renewable energy options and,
- Promoting education, awareness raising and capacity building of civil society organisations and communities in the GEF focal areas.
Funded by the Australian Government Overseas Aid Program (AusAID), the SGP also delivers a specific grant component with the objective to improve the adaptive capacity of communities and to reduce their vulnerability to the impacts of climate change.
Implementing projects in the environmental domain:
- Initiate data base and inventory of sea turtle populations in Gaafu Alif Atoll
- Low-cost solution to protecting shore-lines against erosion
- Climate change related projects contribute to national carbon neutral policy
- Reduce dependency on fossil fuels
- Training of trainers (hydroponics, home gardening, solar energy, mangrove restoration, turtle conservation, climate change) for wider impact and outreach
- Communication and awareness raising for a more informed and conscious population
- SGP modality suited for the geographically dispersed archipelago and under the recent decentralised, local governance structure
|GEF||2010 – 2011 : US$ 150 000|
|2011 – 2013: US$ 800 000|
|AusAID||2012 – 2013 : US$ 120 000|
- Project start date:
- November 2010
- Estimated end date:
- June 2014
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus areas:
- Environment and Energy
- 7: Ensure Environmental Sustainability
- Project Officer:
- Fathimath Ghina
- Ministry of Environment and Energy, local and national NGOs/CBOs, GEF, UNDP, AusAid, private sector